Schlage Sense is a popular and reliable smart lock that allows for simple security in the home via Bluetooth or anywhere with the Wi-Fi adapter add-on. However, like any electronic device, it can sometimes experience issues that may prevent it from functioning optimally.
In this guide, we will explore some common issues that Schlage Sense users may encounter and provide step-by-step instructions to help you diagnose and resolve these problems. Whether you're dealing with connectivity issues, a non-responsive keypad, or any other challenge, we'll help you restore your smart lock's functionality and ensure your home remains safe and secure.
In this guide:
- Sense Troubleshooting
- Contacting Support
- How to Factory Reset
- How to Update Firmware
- Final Thoughts
Let's get right into it and identify what your particular issue is, so you can get it working as quickly and efficiently as possible!
Schlage Sense General Troubleshooting
Following these specific troubleshooting steps can help you fix your Sense when you don't quite know where to start.
1. Schlage Sense Battery Replacement
The most probable issue for most smart locks is a battery issue, so we'll start there. When the batteries are low, you may start to notice issues with the lock's features.
You can check the battery levels in the Schlage Home app (as seen above), or if the batteries are low, your Schlage will blink red after an operation (such as unlocking the device). The Sense runs off four AA batteries located in a tray on the top of the panel inside the door.
To check the batteries on the Schlage Sense:
- Pull up on the black cover that is on the inside of the door
- Locate the battery tray on the top and disconnect the wire from the tray
- Remove the tray and check the batteries are installed correctly
- Replace the batteries when needed or if they haven't been changed in a while
- Replace the tray, reconnect the wire, and replace the cover
Fresh batteries should last up to 12 months in the Schlage Sense. Battery life can, of course, depend on the frequency of use. However, if you are having to replace them often, you might want to check the connections for dirt or corrosion.
If you are having battery issues after a replacement, see Schlage lock not working after a battery change for more help.
2. Installation or Hardware Issues
Like most newer smart locks, the Sense is meant to be low maintenance and shouldn't often require manual repair.
If you recently installed your Sense and it is not working, the best thing to do is consult the manual and double-check the steps.
Typically you will want to check all your wires and be sure that it has power. Next, check that that deadbolt can be manually extended and retracted.
I would contact Schlage customer support before opening up the internals of this lock.
3. Reset the Lock
When you are satisfied the lock has been installed correctly, but it is still not working, try hard resetting the lock.
This will set everything, including the programming, back to the factory settings. Locate your user and programming codes that came with the lock before seeing the resetting steps below to start the process.
Keypad Not Working
If your keypad is not working, the lock does not have power or may have a simple glitch.
Here's what you can do when your keypad isn't working on your Schlage Sense:
- Check the batteries and wires if it is not responding or lighting up
- If the batteries check out, reset the lock and setup it up fresh
- Disconnect the battery wire for a second, press the front Schlage button, and then reconnect the wire
See the reset instructions if none of these steps worked.
When using HomeKit, you may run into a "not responding" or "no response" error, or it may simply not connect with the lock.
Here are some solid fixes for problems with Homekit and your Schlage Sense:
- Use the latest version of iOS on your phone and update the Schlage Home app
- Check the batteries on the lock to make sure they aren't low or dead
- Restart your router and check the signal strength
- When using Bluetooth, try disabling or reenabling it, and be sure you are in range when trying to use it
- Restart the Homepod
- Check for lock firmware updates within the Schlage app
- Remove the device from the Schlage Home app and connect it again
If all this fails, you may want to set it up fresh with a lock reset.
Flashing Orange Lights
A flashing orange light on a Schlage Sense usually indicates that you are in programming mode. If you were trying to program the lock, it may still be in that mode.
Getting into programming mode is not something that will likely be entered by accident. If you weren't trying to program your lock, your lock may have a programming bug.
The Schlage Sense programming mode should time out after 30 seconds if no buttons are pushed. Pressing the Schlage button once should also exit the mode.
A reset may be necessary if the lock continues to flash orange and won't stop. You can also be sure the batteries are in working order, though, as previously mentioned, the lock normally will flash red for a battery issue.
When encountering any programming issues with the Sense, there are a few things you should know. First of all, it is easiest to program the codes through the app.
If you are connected to the app, you must use it for programming, as manual programming will no longer be an option. You will have to reset the lock to be able to program it manually.
You will need to know your default programming code to make any changes to your codes. This is unique to your lock and can be found either in the manual or inside the lock.
The Sense can hold up to 30 user codes, and if you want to use many, you might consider writing them down and storing them in a safe place in case you run into trouble with the app.
If a new programming code is not working, try the default one. There is a chance that the lock got reset or the new programming code got erased.
Most programming issues can be solved by resetting the lock, connecting the app to the lock, and reprogramming the codes in the app.
If you are having trouble in the app itself, check for an app update as well as for a firmware update on the lock.
Wi-Fi Adapter Help
The Wi-Fi adapter has a simple setup process, but wherever there is Wi-Fi, there can be connectivity issues as you well know.
Here are some basic steps you can follow to find and fix issues with the Sense Wi-Fi Adapter:
- Check the Router: Be sure you have a strong enough Wi-Fi signal from your router to the lock. Try restarting the router to help it establish fresh connections.
- Check the Network Band: Your router will likely have two different network bans, so make sure you are trying to connect to the 2.4 GHz one.
- Test Your Login Info: It could be something as simple as the password not getting entered correctly. Try testing it on another device.
- Reset the Adapter: When it's just not acting right, reset the adapter and start the setup again. This can be done by holding the reset button down for 10 seconds.
If all this fails, try checking for both app and firmware updates. Also, be sure the batteries are not low on the lock.
If the adapter is your main issue, be sure to check out my full guide for when your Schlage Wi-Fi adapter is not working for more in-depth help with each of these steps.
If your Sense is not locking, it could be a hardware or software issue within the lock.
Here is how you can fix it when it is not locking:
- Check the battery levels within the app, or try replacing them.
- Check the auto-lock settings in the app. When enabled, it will lock after 30 seconds of unlocking.
- Can you lock it manually? If it doesn't lock by hand with the turn knob, it could be a hardware issue.
- Disconnect the battery, or reset the lock.
If you still encounter locking issues, see our Schlage lock not locking full guide.
When your Schlage Sense is jammed or gives you a jammed alert, it is likely a hardware issue. If it is physically jammed you will first need to get it unjammed to identify the issue.
You may get an alert that it is jammed when the bolt cannot extend fully.
Here are some steps to follow to address a jamming issue or error:
- With the door open, test that the lock can fully extend and retract manually.
- Examine the deadbolt and hole for grime or debris that may be causing a jam.
- With the deadbolt extended, move it to nearly closed to see if it lines up with the strike plate.
- You may need to readjust the strike plate screws or double check the lock is installed correctly.
If the lock seems to be working just fine, but you are getting the error, try resetting the lock to fix any software bugs that may have occurred. You will again want to check that your devices and apps are up to date.
If you are seeing "lock not reachable" in the Schlage app, here are some things you can do:
- Check for operating systems, app, and lock firmware updates
- Disconnect the battery for a few seconds and then reconnect it.
- When using Bluetooth, be sure you are in range and restart the Bluetooth on your device.
- Check the Wi-Fi signal or troubleshoot the Schlage Wi-Fi adapter if you are using one.
Once again if these steps fail you can try resetting the lock and going through the setup process.
Contacting Schlage Support
If you have tried these troubleshooting steps and the lock is not responding to seems to have no power, you will need to contact Schlage Support.
They will be able to help you further troubleshoot a deeper issue and possibly help you identify an electronic or hardware malfunction that could be covered by the warranty.
The Schlage Sense has a lifetime limited mechanical and finish warranty and a three-year limited electronics warranty for the original user.
How to Reset the Schlage Sense Lock
Giving your lock a nice reset can solve many hidden issues and will allow you to set up the lock fresh. Locate the default programming and user codes before resetting your lock so you can use the lock after the reset, as it will restore factory settings.
These are the steps for resetting the Schlage Sense lock:
- Open and unlock the door and remove the battery cover.
- Disconnect the battery wire.
- While holding the outer Schlage Button, reconnect the battery wire.
- Once you see three flashes of the green checkmark, release the Schlage button.
- Test the lock by pressing the Schlage button and then entering a default user code.
- The lock will continue the setup routine if successful, both extending and retracting the bolt.
You can reset a Schlage lock without a programming code, but you will still need that default code to program new ones in.
Schlage Sense Firmware Update
You will want to ensure you always use the latest version of the Schlage app or other home security apps. Check for updates in the app store or on Google Play by searching for the app.
The Sense may need a firmware update and should alert you when one is available. If there is a new update available, it makes take some time to become available in the app.
To update the Firmware manually:
- Make sure the Schlage app is connected to the lock
- In the settings, find Firmware.
- Click the update if one is available.
- Read the alert, as it may tell you how long the update may take.
Sometimes you will get a warning to ensure your phone has sufficient battery for longer updates. It may even give you an exact estimated time for the update.
If you happen to use the Allegion ENGAGE app, you can update the firmware remotely within that app as well.
Here's how you can check for a firmware update on your Schlage smart lock with Engage app:
- Log in and select the location where the lock is located.
- Select the Sense lock that you want to update.
- Once you are connected, select "Update Firmware" to see if an update is available.
FAQ - Schlage Sense Troubleshooting
The Schlage Sense is a great lock that is relatively maintenance-free and usually has issues that are pretty easy to resolve. I hope this extensive article guided you to a fix and helped you learn a bit more about how to maintain your lock.
If you are looking to update to a newer smart lock or yours needs to be replaced, I would recommend checking out my Schlage Encode review. It is one of the best new locks from Schlage and is highly rated.